Love, Life and the Whole Karmic Enchilada; The Very Secret Diary Of A Scientist

A Chris-in-the-morning inspired blog. Somewhere I can hypothesis on human nature and narrate my own journey of self discovery. That sounds so cheesy! Basically somewhere that I can just spill out the contents of my head.




This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?
Tuesday, December 06, 2005
 
Oh big bad words! So I've just been reading up about the church of Latter day Saints, and while they have much in common with Christianity in general there are some issues that don't sit well with me. a) they believe that they are the only true church. God came down and told Joseph Smith in 1820 that none of the current churches of the world were right and that he would bring about the true church. This smacks of arrogance and superiority to me. I don't think the other denominations really try to say they're right. I guess maybe Catholic. But these days people are generally more accepting of other religions. I guess individuals within the LDS church would be on the whole. Maybe.
b) Missionary work. Converting other people. This has never fit into my 'do unto others' principle. You wouldn't like it if Hindu's were knocking on your door telling you all you believe is wrong would you. Let people find their faith themselves.
c) The church is very involving. Education within the church, tithing!, etc. It's good to have involvement in something it just seems a bit all consuming. I guess it might be different in this day and age though.
d) There's a bit that says Joseph Smith spoke against morally bad things like gambling alcohol tea coffee. Okay gambling sure enough, alcohol I can see where that'd come from but tea and coffee?

So what does all of this lead to? Jeremy is a good Mormon. He doesn't drink, he went to church when we were away etc etc and so on and so forth. Therefore there's no chance for me with him. I couldn't be mormon (although they do have a lot of good about them despite what I've said above. Promotion of good morals like being nice to everyone helping people etc is just great!), and I don't think he couldn't.
So where does that leave me on the male front?
Tom - Nope a)he's not interested
b) he's leaving the country soonish
c) when he's drunk he reminds me of dad.
Matt - Maybe. He's annoying at times I'm not sure we have heaps in common. We definitly have a similar sense of humour though. And we get along well. Maybe it's just supposed to be a good friends thing. I'm not sure that I can see anything happening between us.
David - He'd be great if he wasn't with Angela. He's artistic, which is dead sexy, but not so much that I feel completely wooden in comparisson. He's smart, good looking but not perfect (although maybe a little too good looking for me. A bit out of my league). He's quite scientificish too. Computery anyway. Got similar religiuos ideas to me - very similar. Which could be a huge advantaged as evidenced by above.
Jimmy - Nope
Jeremy - Lovely but Mormon. Argh! Funny, nice, good looking smart, has great plans for his life - teaching but now I think about it maybe he'll teach within the church. Do LDS have their own schools? I know Seventh day adventists do- similar interests. Grrr.
Where else can I look? Maybe Lianne knows some guys, maybe David has some friends. maybe I'll meet someone when I get a job. Maybe I'll have no-one until I go overseas.
Great now 'Time after Time' is playing on my mp3 player and I'm getting all mopy and sad. I want someone who'll be there for me when I'm lost, who'll catch me if I fall, I'll look and I will find them. *sigh*
Man I'm a sad bitch sometimes!

Comments: Post a Comment